7.09.2007

feeling the heat

Feeling hot, hot, HOT. But not unbearable by any means (yet), in fact the feet are barely getting puffy (yet)! With 38 degrees in the forecast I can't expect my sleep to improve though. The pregnancy is still going fabulously well, despite the bad couple of days I noted in my last entry. The nights are getting less restful and I wonder if it's a hormonal change as much as the heat. It's like I'm drinking 3 cups of coffee just before bed (I'm not) and I'm having a lot of trouble stopping the buzzing. If they were at least interesting, productive thoughts the time would pass more quickly. I'm usually dog-tired by then and resent the half-wakefulness because it means I have to turn over/hit the washroom far more often. Yes, the old wives would tell me that this is nature's way of preparing me for a newborn. I say if nature wanted to prepare me I'd be sleeping 18 hour nights for the month before the birth. Then again, maybe it is more than a month away.

I am delighted to have passed a significant milestone on the weekend, the 37 week mark. It's a big deal for us because it's when the medical community declares the baby to be technically "full term". For most women that means if they go into labour the hospital will no longer try to hold it off. To me it means clearance for the home birth. I now have a 5 week window where it's officially sanctioned - from 3 weeks before the due date until 2 weeks after. That would be July 7- August 11 if I counted right. So please, nobody bug me about still being pregnant before August 11.

Unfortunately in explaining this all to the girls after they heard us talking about it, they are now on high alert and expect the baby at any second. I don't feel anything like full-term most days and am trying to mentally prepare for carrying this one over into August, while sincerely hoping I don't. That said, I'm not feeling any urgency about it yet. I'm having a lovely summer where I get up early while it's still cool and have my coffee before anyone else wakes up. I love this time. We try to get necessary errands done in the morning and then by mid-afternoon there is nothing to do but head to the lake for as long as possible and then stop by the fruit stand on the way home to find some supper ingredients. Repeat.

8 comments:

Teri said...

wow! i didn't realize that you were 37 weeks already! hopefully baby boy will decide to arrive in the next couple weeks for you! and he needs to be there before we come back. lol!

Chris said...

thinking good things for you...enjoy that homebirth!

Pearl said...

Tan, great to hear you are doing so well, except for the wakefulness. Join you soon for early morning coffee and sunshine! mom

Tannis said...

Yes Teri, I'm very much hoping he doesn't wait tooooo long. You may have to extend your vacation though, you never know.

Chris - I'm planning to enjoy it as much as possible! I savour the comfort and familiarity of my own home in crazy circumstances. I have a "labour shrine" room all set up and the hardest part is keeping the kids from taking over the labour/birth pool.

Mom, come on over for coffee already! I'm making a list of things I'd love help with and it might get too long if I have too much time to think. Are you up for tracking down and canning cherries with us?

tfoxfan said...

Oh, to truly sleep again. Being a big sleeper, I'm amazed at how quickly my body has gotten used to regular 'natural breaks' and restlessness due to silly hips and baby thoughts. Resting loads but not necessarily sleeping is a strange nre reality, hey? I can't believe you're doing this for the third time... amazing.

I like what you said about asking folks to hold off on saying things like "you're still pregnant?". I agree since the more I learn about due dates, the more bunk and useless they really seem.

Tannis said...

Yes, Esther, those "due dates" can run us all into trouble. I'm still 10 days out from mine and a lot of acquaintances (mostly not friends and family) are expressing surprise and a little disappointment when they see that I'm still pregnant. All well meaning of course, they felt bad for me in the heat.

My nights are getting wickedly short so I'm hoping for a nice long snooze this afternoon, listening to the pitter patter of the rain. Heavenly.

Anonymous said...

My goodness, reading this stuff is making me misty-eyed for a full nights sleep...I agree that the body should be letting you sleep 18hrs so that you're caught up when bub breaks up the night (and day!). I think it's worse now when he wakes up because we got a few weeks of full nights, and I got used to it. Ah, growth spurts, ah, gassiness (his, not mine!)
I sat next to a 2.5wk old yesterday at lunch and could NOT believe that Ethan was that small only 3.5mo ago!! So fast, so crazy.
I think you're going to go 'early', for the record...Soph

Tannis said...

Sophie, you didn't need to read this to feel misty eyed, did you? With Ivy I recall feeling like I was in a thick fog for the first 6 weeks. It got better in 3 month intervals after that as there seemed to be definite changes of some sort at 3, 6 and 9 and 12 months.

Oh the joy and frustration of getting a glimpse of what life is like with unbroken sleep again and then going right back into wakeups. That's harder to take. Good luck!