8.03.2007

patience

This whole waiting for baby after due date thing is new for me, I've been lucky in the past. I think if this was my first I'd be going nuts by now. It helps to have a pretty good idea what to anticipate for labour and the newborn weeks. I know the babe will come eventually but it's harder to remember in some moments than others. I'm interested to see how well I'll cope with the induction pressures, when and if they come. I've been (and still am) a very critical voice against inducing unless there are absolute physical indications for it. We'll see how willing I am to buck the system once I'm tired of being this big and the OB's are sitting me down to angrily lecture me about potential dangers to my baby.

Overall I'm feeling pretty positive and relaxed, thanks to being surrounded by mellow people and the support of Esther, my encouraging and upbeat twin in this adventure. I have come to suspect that Jeremy is having secret conversations with the baby when I'm sleeping, convincing him to stay in just a liiiittle longer because it's easier that way. So true, but I'm missing any resemblance of a normal body by now. I see people flopping onto their stomachs on their beach towels and gasp, first in horror, then jealousy when I realize that they actually can.


Other tidbits:

The advertising phrase "You can't...rush...a turtle..." keeps running through my head. Odd choice.

Yesterday when I was lounging on the blanket at the beach, half asleep, a duck waddled right up and NIBBLED my toes. I didn't know I could still move that fast. The people beside me cracked up after I explained why I kicked sand all over them and said it must be a sign. But what does it mean?!

3 comments:

Julie said...

maybe you can't duck a turtle? or take charge of your inner turtle and eat roast duck?

tfoxfan said...

Haha, I like this post, especially the duck nibbling. I keep looking for oddball signs. Like, maybe all of the curious nocturnal creaturs on my night walks know something about what's going on with me that I don't. Makes me wonder how instinctual and animalistic this whole experience will turn out to be.

10 days overdue and still waiting...

Tannis said...

Julie - I was wondering if maybe I was waddling like a duck at the pace of a turtle but your analysis is more fun.

Esther - don't these kids want to see summer? I hope your nocturnal animal sign isn't that skunk we've run into a few times in your neighbourhood - I don't know what that might mean.

I can't wait for us to have these kids so we can travel and see each other again!