8.18.2007

meandering

You may suspect that I've been freakishly busy with a newborn and too tired to post. Nope. Lazy. Ezra has this newborn thing figured out and is taking it really easy on us, all things considered. NO, he is NOT sleeping through the night. Are you kidding? We fully expect him to get the hang of that by the time he's three. If we're lucky. I had forgotten that a newborn is actually less intense than many of the later stages can be. He doesn't require much of us aside from sustenance, fresh diapers and snuggling. He's nursing well, sleeps decent streches and is up to 10 and a half pounds at 2 weeks. Plus he's wicked cute. I'll find a picture to throw up here one of these days.

I realize that this has turned into more of a mommy blog than I had intended since the pregnancy thing took over. I guess that's honestly my space although I have been thinking about some of the "green" stuff lately too. I feel some angst over the quantity of diposable paper products going through this house over the last fortnight. Great term by the way (fortnight), it should be used more often. Ezra has been switched over to cloth diapers, thanks to Teri who provided us with the teeny size that we were too cheap to invest in.

The other thing that brought up a lot of questions about environmental impact was the building of the playhouse. I know that due to it's size, it's footprint isn't huge but it's a fascinating exercise to see where my ideals really shake out when they're up against money, time and convenience. I was really happy with the balance my dad and I were able to achieve and thank him for it. He was willing to try some of my used/strange/cheap matierials which was a pain for him but pleasing for me. On the other hand, I was able to relax enough for him to buy what he needed to get it done and do it well.

If I ever do get the opportunity to build a house someday there will be exponentially more of those weighted decisions to make and I can see why it's such a stressful experience for most people. What I found interesting was that there were way too many "choices" in a very narrow field. There seem to be an almost infinite number of companies all making the same things in the same dull range of colours but we came across almost no options that were directed towards healthier choices. There was no mention of sustainable harvesting, embodied energy or off-gassing potential of any products. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough but there certainly wasn't anyone advertising those things.

Back to the baby thing. I need to go to bed now, he's been sleeping for hours.

2 comments:

Kaili said...

Great to see an update. I was thinking it would be really grand to meet you all at the beach one of these days for a picnic dinner. Sound cool?

Tannis said...

Sounds great - now where's that sun gone?!