4.24.2008

new wheels


Remember this dreaming post? We made it come true and this is my shiny new precious. Well, it's not super shiny and not brand new but it is awesome. I was sick the first day I had it but managed to wring a 20 minute test ride out of my tired body. I was pretty nervous that it wouldn't feel different enough from the old ride to justify the expense. Sometimes I love being wrong. I can't believe I waited so long to try a new bike (10 years to be exact). The old one served me well but it was never quite right. It took me a whole season to get used to and was always too stiff and sketchy on the downs for my liking. It did climb like a dream though.

I don't know how to explain it but this one just tracks right. The weight is in the right places and it behaves when I point it somewhere. Not that I've pushed it much yet, I may rescind all of the above statements eventually. Here's a fun thing - despite the extra bit of weight I cleaned a short climb today that I never managed on the old Kona, must be a traction thing. Or a stoke thing.

I got one of the best calls ever today. I wrote about the women's mountain bike camp I'd like to attend but didn't do anything about it. I answered the phone and it was a pre-Ezra riding buddy asking if I'd like to join her and a few other Summerland women at that exact camp. Um...let me think...YES, I'd love to. I might have to wean the little guy by then or figure out some alternate arrangement but I am very, very ready to have a weekend away. I always get jitters when I say my goodbyes to the little ones but it passes quickly and I know I need the break. Just thinking I'll probably go to this will do wonders for my fitness and motivation to ride. It's a good kind of pain.

The back story:
My bike was getting very weary. Forks pooped out and drivetrain in rough shape. We tossed around the idea of fixing it up - the frame and many parts are fine and it would be fiscally more responsible of course. Jeremy was kind enough to keep an eye out online for me though, just in case. Bikes like this in my size aren't that common so when one came up on pinkbike we paid close attention. I sat on the fence for over a week until he scored a very sweet new bike on ebay. I have to keep up with the Joneses you know. Suddenly I was committed and planning a trip to Nakusp.

5 comments:

Jeremy said...

Such a great bike...and fun to go pick it up too. We probably would have never made it back to Nakusp if not for this corny plan. Couldn't really have worked out better.

Domestic Bloggess said...

That bike looks awesome - great color too (I'm such a girl). No doubt you'll have some good times with that this summer!

Michelle said...

Good for you Tannis. I am so glad that you are actually taking time for yourself. We mothers tend to get lost in the "mothering" and seldom put ourselves first. Have a great time.

Julie said...

The jingle from the TV commercial (for Becel margarine?) comes to mind: "fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you..." I guess that's two items on your wish list you can check mark. A very gorgeous bike.

Tannis said...

This bike has been fantastic so far - it's nice that other people are appreciating the beauty too!

- Michelle, it's a bit of a stretch to say that I'm putting myself first but that biking weekend I have planned should do the trick!