4.09.2008

sanity

Or a lack thereof.

Jeremy's done a great job of capturing Ezra's cuteness and insane demands so I won't elaborate too much. Suffice it to say he (Ez, not Jeremy) saps almost all of my time and energy. Otherwise known as my mojo. He makes the girls look like angels but I'm frustrated by how little I have left to give them.

For the record I don't think I'll ever bother posting about the eczema issue again. Partly because although it's important to me it must be unbelievably dull to read about but also because at some point between the time I hit "publish post" and the time it shows up on a feed it takes a dramatic turn for the worse. I spent the day in doctors offices again yesterday and it sucked.

Given the above two paragraphs, here is some light reading on stupid things I've done as a result of this state of mind. I had an evening "off" to hang out with a dear friend and was anxious to get an early start to meet her. I knew the car on "empty" though so I started the outing at the gas station. It had a lineup of vehicles desperate to pump that liquid gold into the tanks. So I backed out and headed to the next one down the road. It didn't have pay at the pumps which always irritates me because I have to guess how much I'm going to use and pre-pay inside. I walked back out and started filling but it kept clicking off unless I slowed it to a trickle. I used to work as a gas jockey and tanks like that drove me nuts. It didn't occur to me that I've never had that problem before until gas splashed out all over my hand, car and feet. It cost me $4 to TOP up the tank and bathe in gasoline. On a normal day I would have noticed that Jeremy had driven the vehicle and filled it up a few hours earlier. I had to go back in, red-faced and stinky to ask for a refund because I didn't actually need gas.

Yesterday I hustled Ivy out the door before she was finished chewing her lunch because we were late for her class. I had to pack up Ez and take Ella because Jeremy was in a phone meeting. Everyone was feeling grouchy and rushed and there were sharp words all around. We showed up at the class and something was wrong...all the other students were still outside and her teacher wasn't waiting at the door. I STILL didn't figure it out. I walked Ivy up to class after getting the other kids out of the car and finding a parking spot. The classroom was empty except for the teacher calmly planning her lesson that wasn't going to start for another 15 minutes.

I'm used to feeling at least baseline competent but these two incidents have shaken my confidence. I've been late to appointments and meetings more often that I would like since having #3 but I usually have a pretty good grip on the actual time. I know sanity will return. I only hope it's sooner rather than later and that I don't do something really damaging before then!

7 comments:

Pearl said...

Sounds like it's been a long winter & spring. I was trying to visualize the school episode, Tannis with 3 children in tow, early for class. Not just anyone could do that. During our transition back home from 10 weeks in the south, I totally forgot about my appointment for an annual checkup with my doctor at the end of March, an appointment made in January! That cost me $50 for a missed appointment and I get a re-schedule appt in July. Hope I remember that one. AND I can't blame a busy schedule or kids. Sanity will return for you till you reach my age. :) mom

tfoxfan said...

sanity... sanity... I keep typing it, hoping I will understand what that word means again.

Those stories are so raw and relatable for me. I do things like that without having three and just one. Really, you should be impressed that you remembered to go to class at all.

I am feeling like the roof of my confidence is caving in too. Finch decided to not only have a rough go-to-sleep, but also a wake up at 1 am which didn't end until 3 am and STILL woke up at 630. If I don't know how to teach her how to sleep, how will I know how to teach her about anything? It's so basic, right?

Tannis said...

Please, please don't use SLEEP as a gauge for successful parenting. Nobody sees it as a shortcoming of your parenting that she's not talking or toilet trained - she's not biologically ready. I prefer to look at sleep that way, rather than as a failure of mine (it's all about my ego). When it's time, the right things will work and she will get better at it. Until then though we live with bags under eyes and keep trying...

tfoxfan said...

you sound pretty sane to me :)

Anonymous said...

Hey---I know you!
Just happened across someone's list.
Val has 3 under 8---and she seems more efficient than ever.The youngest Madelyn ,is turning 2-1/2.,and Sophia is 6.Anica is turning 8 on Mon.Val has been visiting Sherri and bringing her treats that make me hungry.Its been a blow to realize Sherri had----has cancer.She goes in for prognosis on Monday. Love,Eva.You are doing fine! We saw your folks last Sat.for the Easter supper at Vic's

Ang said...

Tan-I have eczema, living in BC air has really complicated it, in nasty spurts usually. Yep, turns out MB air is better for my skin than BC's-not that that helps you at all.
ABC laundry detergent is the only one i can handle since moving here(no expensive added toxins) even baby deter is evil, and never ever dryer sheets. Not even on hand towels at other people's houses. I wonder if Ez ever cuddles with anyone who uses them. Whenever the weather takes a drastic turn, i flair up, not dependant on whether it's hot or cold. Have you noticed that with EZ? I only noticed after 20 years of dealing with the problem. Oh yeah, and it'd be better for my eczema if I never contacted water again. Water is my mortal enemy unless it's saturated with oatmeal and dry milk powder. You probably know all this and could offer me some advice. One doc tried to sell me on taking fish oil tablets as a solution. I know i should try it. As a kid my mom had goats milk delivered from a farm for a while, didn't help. You are welcome to ask anything but you didn't really sign up to hear my eczema history so i'll sign off now :)

Tannis said...

Aunt Eva, thanks for stopping by. We're definately keeping Sherri & family in mind these days.

Ang, I really value the eczema feedback from people who have been there and done that. The personal history is valuable! I thought maybe the air in the Okanagan was too dry but if the coast isn't good either then I'm lost. We're doing fish oil that has some sort of magical lemon flavour - it's totally manageable but I haven't noticed that it's helped...yet.