4.02.2008

4 in 1

A normal person might blog more often and craft this into at least 4 separate posts. You're not so lucky and get in all in one big spew.

- All that good stuff I wrote in the update to the Eczema post ended up being a pipe dream. Ezra got better for about 3 days and then it got bad again. That cycle continued - a few days up and a few days down but the lows were getting lower. Last weekend I was nearly in tears, at night I had been awake for an hour pinning his arms to his sides so he wouldn't rub his face raw. By morning he was bleeding anyway. I took him to the walk-in hoping for fresh insight from a different doctor and was rewarded. The reason nothing was working was that he had a bacterial infection on his cheeks for almost TWO MONTHS. Not sure why my doctor didn't pick up on it. I'm not a fan of the overuse of antibiotics but I was so relieved to find a way out of the mess. In the afternoon I went to a health food store and got some supplements to support our immune systems in general. We only needed the antibiotics for a few days and his cheeks are looking lovely a week later (apparently it's not the kind where you have to take the whole course to make sure it's effective). He still has underlying eczema but it's not nearly as bad as we thought. That's something to be thankful for.


Doing:

- During spring break I took the kids up to Apex for a sleepover at a friend's cabin. It was a short vacation but it was really fun. The girls got to play with buddies and I got to stay up late chatting with a friend too. I'm pretty sure we stayed up longer than the kids but I can't guarantee it.

- Starting to clean out garden beds, rake, pick up sticks and distribute compost/manure. I also went to the local Seedy Saturday today and picked up some garden seeds.

- Jeremy and I got out on a date today (thanks Dianne!) and I attended my first Fest of Ale after running taxi duty last year. I was pregnant anyway so I wasn't too hard done by. I've confirmed that my favorites are all brown ales. Mt. Begbie's Tall Timber Ale and Fernie Brewing' s First Trax Brown Ale were my picks. Crannog Ales is the most fantastic brewery. It's organic, most of their beers are awesome and they are working towards a "zero-waste" system. While we were there we happened to catch a performance by Get Bent Belly Dancing. It made me miss those drop in classes but I can't do everything!

- Not enough exercise. Hockey ended on Easter weekend and I've only been out for a few walk/runs since then. On the upside I did fix my bike tire and took the kids into town in the trailer this week. The goal for tomorrow is to ride Giant's Head.


Reading:

- "Ecoholic" on a tip off on A Life In Progress. I agree with her assessment that it is overwhelming - there is no realistic way for me to make all the changes I'd like to right now. It is great to keep in mind that there are alternatives to the way we shop though. When we do need to make a big purchase (mattresses come to mind), I'll use the book as a buyers guide to do my research.

- I've got a few books out on permaculture again, the most interesting read is "Food Not Lawns" published by Chelsea Green .


Courses/Camps I'd like to sign up for:

- Devine Ride's Women's Mountain Bike Camp

- Kootenay Permaculture Institute
- Intro to Permaculture

- hockey camp

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Seems like you've had a busy spring so far. I'd like to see some posts about your gardening experiences in the future. So glad that you got to the bottom of Ezra's problem. About the beer, I like dark ales as well. My favorite is Newcastle Brown Ale.
The girl from A Life In Progress is my daughter, as you may know. I perused Ecoholic myself and agree with you both.

Kaili said...

Robin sai dyou guys looked like you were having a GOOD time at Fest of ale! Glad to hear it!
It was nice seeing you and couple of your kidlets at the park, thanks for coming. I can't get over how Ella is such a good little Mama! And how adorable that Ezra boy is!

Tannis said...

I've been quite intentional this spring about keeping my brain engaged in something other than baby care. It takes more energy but it pays off. I think. I'm sure there will be more gardening posts as things go in and start coming up. The deer have nipped off the first round of tulips at about 4" tall. Predictable but disappointing.

Thanks for organizing the park day Kaili, it was great but way too short. Or maybe I shouldn't have been late, that would have helped. As it warms up we need to do it again.

Lindsay said...

That's cool... I read 'Ecoholic' a few months ago, and I felt the same way - it was overwhelming, but I've definitely used it as reference.