3.19.2007

busted

Ivy: "So mom...is Tim Hortons a big company?"
Me: "Yes, very big."
Ivy: "But you like to shop more at family businesses, right?"
Me: "Um, yeah." (not liking where this is going)
Ivy: "So why do we go to Tim Hortons so much?"
My answer: "Well, I guess I often get lazy. You make a really good point though, please remind me next time we go for coffee and we'll head into town instead."

My unspoken answer: "I'm too stinking lazy to drag two kids out of and back into the car to get myself the tiny dose of caffeine I'm so desperately wanting right now. Plus, like scores of other deluded Canadians, I think I actually have a chance at winning that hybrid Camry on one or two mediums a week. And I'd better not hear any whining next time when we're walking to the local shop downtown from wherever we parked."

Kids are great at keeping me honest. In the moment it might be irritating (and/or funny) but what the girl says is true. I've told her myself so I'd better be sticking to it! Not that the local shop isn't getting a very large share of my patronage, but that's no exuse for cheaping out and getting lazy. What really saddens me is that both these scenarios involve the car when we used to be able to walk to everything. No one place has it all.

4 comments:

Teri said...

I'm sorry but that is hilarious! She will definitely keep you in line!

Tannis said...

Hey, if I can't laugh at myself over this I've got much bigger issues ahead! It's nice to know some things I'm trying to model to the kids are sticking better than I think they are.

Anonymous said...

hahahahaaa.. oh man.. too good.

Looks like Ivy and Ty have the same understanding of Tim's. Only for me, lazy means I can go to one of at 5 local cafes within a block. I have told Ty that every once in a while people are allowed to get a little lazy... but mostly, we need to support independent, local business because if we don't, everything will be the same everywhere and how fun would that be? Diversity makes the world beautiful, exciting & challenging to live in. Making a better world means celebrating our differences and learning from each other (which I think kids are great at!) ...and yes, not getting lazy! lol

I got lazy and shopped at Provigo/Loblaws the other day over the local grocery store which I should be supporting because it was cold out and it was more convenient ;p

Tannis said...

Ooh, I like your lazy with 5 cafe's. We don't even have an independant grocery store but just wait until all the farmgates open up again!