12.21.2004

thoughts on community

I have realized over the last few days that I am afraid of committing to living in Summerland.

It's not that I've found fatal flaws, it's actually the opposite problem. I'm starting to engage in the community and am understanding on a practical level that it means giving, not just taking. We idealize the perfect community as a place we could simply move into and all the things that interest and please us are in progress. I'm "getting" it that you have to interact and grow with a community if you want it to be meaningful to you. The fears are that you put all the time, effort and money into all sorts of projects and friends and end up leaving for some reason (like work, family or new interests). It's a very real possibility, but is it an exuse to live in self-protecting and disconnected way?

I care enough that I've drawn up a little plan for making our dwelling space and the whole complex more sustainable in the long term. The personal changes require more cash than anything and can be done in due time, but presenting some of my ideas to the strata will be a whole different experience. I want to plough up some of our unused, overwatered and low visibility lawn/weeds to start making a garden next year. A lot of other work needs to be done on the property so I'm hoping to organize a work day in spring and follow up with a potluck or barbeque. There is a precedent for the work day but that's as far as plans have ever gone. I hope to have the restraint to take things slowly - it would be all too easy to scare the tar out of people with over- enthusiastic organizing.

I like to believe that getting involved here does not preclude moving or doing the same thing somewhere else at some point, should we chooose that path. It does not "trap" me here, but rather "roots". Positive force, not negative. The beauty of committing, all fears aside, is the complete freedom to love being where I am. The consequences of not engaging are depressing. Isn't that why the suburbs are so dull?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's cool to see that you are working through many of the same issues that i am (your big bro) regarding community, roots, etc. these things are on many people's hearts and minds, even in the burbs!

Tannis said...

Especially in the 'burbs, since that's where most of us can afford to live. They don't lend themselves nicely to interaction with people around us so we have to go looking a bit harder.