12.06.2004

book stack

I looked over at the stack of books on my bedside table and burst out laughing, hoping it doesn't fall on me at night. I'm going to try to list them without disclaimers...anyone who is familiar with my housekeeping style or lack thereof will have no trouble picturing this.

- The Death and Life of Great American Cities, Jane Jacobs
- Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, Ina May Gaskin (Okay a disclaimer here - no, I'm not having any babies, it's a dream of mine though to see midwifery accessible to anyone who wants it).
- Animal Farm, George Orwell
- Pippi In the South Seas, Astrid Lindgren
- Barnyard Dance! Sandra Boynton
- The Overworked American, Juliet B. Schor
- The Norton Anthology of Poetry, Second Edition, Eds. Richard Ellmann & Robert O'Clair
- Women Who Run With the Wolves, Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Ph.D.
- Superbia! Dan Chiras and Dave Wann

The last book is my most recent library find. It is fabulous! It is the first sustainable housing book I've found that really addresses the fact that there are millions of houses in the suburbs right now and that we can't all jet off to some remote acreage to build a "perfect" house. Ideas for retro-fitting current homes and transforming some of the grossest aspects of the suburban layout are presented. The steps take guts and vision but not necessarily a lot of cash or dramatic relocation which is refreshing. Check it out and you'll feel the activist in you start to get excited about the possibilties.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

What an eclectic mix of stuff...really captures some of our life stage, I think. From the very kiddy (Barnyard Dance, which is now stuck in my head) to new philosophies and envisioning better ways of living. Great stuff.