11.28.2004

On Board

Nice to see that David Suzuki has gotten on board with the "sustainability" trend. Oh wait, it's me on his coat tails. I love his ideas and Nature Challenge which outlines 10 of the most useful changes he belives we can each make in our daily lives. What amazes me most about Suzuki is his firm belief that change is possible and to not give up on it (and us). He continues to look further ahead than most and actually thinks about longer term planning.

How does one keep up that energy and research without becoming a roaring cynic? It's nice to buy organic instead of sprayed vegetables, but as long as Monsanto can frame a farmer for it's GM seeds that blew into his field what hope is there? I find I deal with this attitude regularly. Once I'm committed to doing something, do I aim to effect local change - things I can see in front of me - or to look at the big picture and take on the big boys? Will nothing change unless we can crack the top ranks? Bottom up or top down?

Grassroots action is where it has to start but when are we going to put the right kind of person in a position of power to really shake things up?

No comments: