11.03.2004

my two cents

I know everybody and their pet will have something to say about the American election so I'll keep it short and not so sweet. I am flabbergasted (fun word by the way) that slightly over half of Americans chose to stay the course. Does anyone think that this will somehow deter terrorism anywhere? Improve the domestic economy? Improve anyone's life that does not own a major oil/defence/pharmaceutical company? How does the other half continue with any confidence in their country?

In fact, how do we sleep at night with Paul Martin calling the shots? He's great only if you compare him to the variety of other politicians we are more scared of - is that what it's come to? I end up voting for someone that has the best chance of doing the least damage? I'm thankful for a minority government this time, even if it gets messy. I like to think that good debate, problem solving and concessions - whether strategic or genuine - should be a part of every government anyway. It makes for backroom dealings of a different sort and keeps leaders alert.

No comments: