11.22.2004

catch up

Almost two weeks since an entry...yikes. Nothing groundbreaking or intellectual to add, but I want to keep something going on here. I suspect the main reason for my lack of interesting ideas has to do with having my nose buried in the Harry Potter series in every moment of spare time. I avoided it for ages because I had some sort of issue with the intense hype, but now that I've started there's no stopping.

Last week the construction crew across the street finally tore down a hundred year old house in a field to make way for a massive new seniors "campus". It was disturbing to see how well built that house was - it wouldn't fall over even when it was left with only one wall. I still haven't gotten over the fact that nobody went in to salvage anything ahead of time. The size of the wooden beams was amazing and the equipement operator went out of his way to break them up into matchstick size pieces before hauling them to the dump. Should have called these guys to salvage it.

We played our first hockey game and yes, it will be sustainable. I got a bit sore but nothing too painful. It was a complete blast. My linemates were great and I even had a few shots on net. A few embarassing incidents too, but I expected that. I'm looking forward to practices even more now that I have some ideas of what I need to work on most.

1 comment:

tfoxfan said...

Tan,

As a fellow huge Harry Potter fan, I completely understand the distraction that those books provide. Angelo and I flew through those books in India. HP is huge there. I too avoided it for ages, but then, being in India calls for absolute childish-ness. Therefore, HP was a wonderful break from the chaos and got me in tune with immature humour that ,I found, Indians tend to favour. The funny thing is looking for the next book, from one city to another, picking up whatever version of a copy (no regard for actual copyright issues there) one can get their hands on. For the most part, we read pirated versions of the series, hoping all the words were on one page (often crookedly placed on the page and/or on the edge of making the entire page) and ate up every one.

Glad to hear about making it through your first game. Remember, pain is good.

- E