11.07.2004

a bit of social work stuff

I looked back at my initial blog entry and realized that I haven't really gone specifically into social work territory at all. There are a few sites dedicated to environmental social work that have well developed links. Sustainable Social Work Mandala is one of them and it happens to be associated with this program, an MA in Environment and Community (pdf), the type of program I'll be sorely tempted to take after Jeremy finishes his masters.

I came across a site called bagelhole that lists wonders of the sustainable world, including bicycles and ceiling fans, two possessions of mine that make me happy in very different ways. The ladybug also makes the eclectic list.


2 comments:

Garth said...

Hey Tannis!

I enjoyed your link to the "wonders of the sustainable world" - obviously the bicycle was my favorite of the ones listed but the canoe would be a close second. We recently built a house and had mixed feelings about it environmentally speaking but we intentionally built in a location closer to work, closer to the park, closer to the store - so that instead of driving we can walk or cycle. The other aspect is that we now live in a much more energy efficient house. My daughter Chelsea will be pleased the Ladybug made the list as well - she happened to choose a ladybug costume for Halloween this year!

All the best with the possibility of going for your MA - it is well worth it from my experience.

Garth

Tannis said...

Thanks for the comments, it's great to get some feedback. It is wonderful to be able to walk or bike to those essential places and it's amazing how those energy efficiencies you build in at the start can make a significant long term difference (from what I hear anyway...). Sounds like you're making some great choices.

An official MA would be a long way off but I'm considering embarking on a self-guided program of study. I'm sure I'll write about it if it happens!