9.23.2008

the unexpected (...or Life As A Mom)

Here's a list of unexpected things I can remember that happened today.

- The girls got up a full hour earlier than usual.
- Ezra slept two hours less than on a good day.
- We ran out of milk. Yes, I should have anticipated this one.
- I broke one of Ivy's rented violin's strings and the first class isn't until tomorrow.
- Ezra got his toe fully bloodied and bruised minutes before I had to head out to work.
- Ezra was very surprised to get a whole cookie before supper while I tried to clean him up.
- I was late to work due to interminable construction on the local highway and the fact that Jeremy had to pick up a new violin string on his way home from work.
- Supper was late due to aforementioned bloody toe incident. Hmm, I didn't actually eat any supper now that I think about it.

- The sun shone brightly and with some warmth. We spontaneously raked up a big pile of leaves and jumped out of the (low) tree onto them.
- We threw in the towel on school books when Ezra wasn't napping and had a fun time building doll beds from scraps of wood. Shop class.
- There were a handful of ripe raspberries on the bushes.
- The caterpillar the girls caught a few weeks ago had made a chrysalis almost immediately after capture - it emerged as a butterfly today!
- I listened to part of "The Hobbit" on CD today while doing routine chores (this was unexpected because I borrowed it for car listening and it was a bit of a brainwave for me to try it inside).
- Work went well despite the crazy rush to get out the door.
- I stayed relatively calm all day.

5 comments:

Jeremy said...

It was a weird one for me too:

-- got up way too early, so I stopped at Deep Creek and walked up to Hardy Falls, watching the spawning salmon
-- The Bohemian Cafe was CLOSED when we got there, but Don and I walked over the Bread Garden and had a very nice breakfast anyway
-- I had planned to meet Craig for lunch, but he was incommunicado all morning. I munched a donut while working through instead.
-- Ditched a meeting just before 4 to race out to the music store for the very expensive violin strings, skipping the planned stops at Mount Royal Bagels, Bliss Bakery and/or Greata Ranch
-- Got stuck in the construction delay in the usual spot, and arrived home just as you were supposed to be starting your appointment. Ugh.
-- Got the kids (and myself) fed.
-- Got the bike train set up and loaded everyone onto/into it to take Ivy into town for Girl Guides.
-- Took Ella and Ezra grocery shopping and discovered our old favourite Hawthorne Mountain White magnums at the Perch.
-- Got Ezra bathed and fed
-- Went to pick up Ivy at Brownies, and also picked up three giant boxes of Girl Guide cookies. Oh my.
-- Got home, and then went back again to retrieve her lost (and precious) Brownies hoodie.
-- Read three chapters of Nim's Island
-- Wrote this way-too-long comment

A day in the life, eh? Wonder how this will sound 20 years from now?

Tannis said...

Hey, you forgot the part where you got heck from the Brownie leader for not having her hoodie properly labelled.

I'm so very sorry about the skipped stops...I would have much preferred the products of those myself.

I'm assuming my memory will have altered this time period dramatically in 20 years so it will be good to have a written record. If this format is still retrievable. We may wonder why we commented on blogs to each other instead of walking across the house to actually talk.

Teri said...

Seems almost like a normal day ;) I hate those days though when it's one thing after another - I'd rather have them spread out over the week! Ha ha!

Tannis said...

It is bizarre that a day like that qualifies as "normal" in the world of young families. It wasn't even a bad one...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love it. It's great to read about your normal day especially when we're too far away to experience some of that with you. That "twenty years from now" comes amazingly quickly and written memories become precious. Come to think of it. I kind of miss those days of having you "young 'uns" underfoot. I could blog some of my "normal" days now and realize there is no such thing anyway. Bless you in your busyness and involvement in the kids' lives, which is so all consuming at this stage. Is Ezzie's toe ok? Mama Pearl