9.23.2010

Fall Habits

When I did the Challenge over summer I was really excited about the changes I made in my diet. I feel better when I eat well and got very quick results. Lately though I've been getting lazier and I feel it. I'm trying to figure out why, since it's obviously good for me! I've concluded that a fair bit of it has to do with the changing season for a few reasons.

- I'm drinking less water. When the weather cools down, I drink more coffee and less water. That's not a good combo for me and I'm more often tempted by sweet snacks when I'm sitting down with my coffee.

- I'm busier and eating LESS. That leaves me feeling hungry/thirsty pretty often when I'm on the run between kids classes (or my classes). I don't tend to reach for the best snacks under these circumstances. I'm not either spending the same amount of planning time on meals and it shows.

- When the weather cools down and it gets darker out I crave more carbs. They're still good quality food but my balance shifts away from fresh fruit and veggies and tips towards whole grain breads, rice & potatoes. I don't think that's a bad thing overall but something I need to be aware of throughout the day to keep things even. Once in a while I still go back to log a few days on Vitabot. It gives me a clear sense of where I've been missing nutrition and of course, I eat better on days I know I'm logging!

Now that I've spent the time thinking about it, it's much easier to go back and remember those fantasic habits I started months ago but have somehow let slide. I want to encourage everyone that feels like they're not "on" with their eating to let yesterday go and start fresh now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am reading this enjoying a warm piece of Pumpkin pie. I have been eating lots of root vegetable casseroles and curry rice dishes. I have been snacking on a few tea biscuits with my tea. I do enjoy my comfort foods this time of year. I can relate and I am always trying to make sure I have eaten more greens and or more veggies. I am hoping if I keep increasing my physical activity that it will all balance out. Wishful thinking. I am so glad your Boot camp is a success and everything in your life is going smoothly. You are such a busy, balanced, healthy women and your Boot camp moms are so lucky to have such a wonderful role model. Happy fall. Cheers
Karen

Tannis said...

Karen, it didn't publish b/c of the comment moderation - sorry about that!

Maybe I just need some recipes, I'm not great at preparing the root veggies although I like a lot of them. Hey, more veggies and more exercise should certainly balance things out!

Thank you for the kind words, I hope you are having a fantastic fall too. You do regular yoga, right? I need some help in that department (yoga)...might pick your brain one day.