2.19.2009

first samples

I couldn't wait until next week to see samples from my first pottery firing so I stopped by the guild today. I hardly recognized my own pieces. The glaze changes them dramatically and you wouldn't believe the flaws it can hide.

My absolute first bowl. It is hard to see but I put a freehand design on the bottom and was very happy with the result. I have to come clean, I copied the idea & glaze from someone else.




This is one appie plate in a set of 4. There is also a serving size plate that I'm going to glaze to match. I winged it with the green/brown combo and it turned out a lot like I intended it to.



With all the excitement I decided to sign up for the guild. For a very modest fee I have my own keys and can go and use the equipment any time I want. In return, I agree to participate in all of their fundraisers by contributing pieces (once they're classified as acceptable anyway). Starting in March they have set aside one night a week where more experienced potters are willing to casually mentor beginners. It sounds like a good setup so we'll see if I take advantage of it.

I've decided that my first solo mission will be a coffee mug. Unless it turns into something else, I'm flexible.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Tannis, those look perfect. I have wanted to take a course at the Rotary of Arts, but it will cost more than I can spend. Maybe one day I will get the chance. Good luck with the mug. PS. Great colour combinations. Karen

Domestic Bloggess said...

Gorgeous work Tannis! Sounds like you're having a blast. Can't wait to see more pieces - the colors are so rich.

Michelle said...

Wow! Great job.

Kaili said...

So nice!
My Mom took a class there are made SO many things it was awesome! Then we laughed at how much we use to pay for pottery before! Haha! Good for you!

Tannis said...

Thanks! Yes, I'm having fun getting my hands dirty.

Karen, I thought the course here was reasonable at ~$130 for 18 hours of instruction with a class size of 4-5. I can see the Rotary Centre charging an arm & a leg though.

It is pretty funny to think of the cost of clay and what you get out of it compared to buying the finished piece. I can understand why potters charge what they do though. The time, experience, clean-up,marketing...not to mention getting their own gear. I'm having fun but I wouldn't want to mess with all that.

Vicki said...

I have always wanted to try my hand at pottery. Your work is beautiful. Maybe you've said it and I missed it, but, where did you do this?
Will you take the girls to try?

Tannis said...

Vicki, I highly recommend trying it if you're interested (and can make the time of course). I took the course at the Guild here in Summerland.

The girls have been all over it. I brought clay home and they've already built a bunch of little pots & plates. I took their stuff back to the Guild and am going to start glazing it tonite.