1.13.2009

randoms

I may be having a mid-life crisis. I just signed up for a pottery class. And I'm really looking forward to it. Basket weaving, anyone?

I'm trying to get into the habit of baking our own bread. Chris tipped us off to the recipes of Richard Bertinet and they are rocking my world. My fougasse(s?) weren't quite as lovely as Chris's but they tasted wonderful.

I had a fantastic day in Kelowna last week. We (the kids, Dianne & I) hit the Bohemian Bagel Cafe for second breakfast, then the downtown library and a brief browse at Opus. That place is heavenly. We had a leisurely afternoon (for me, that is) up at the house and then a Mennonite feast for supper. Yum.

Opus inspired me to take out The Chinese Brush Painting Bible from the library again. I also have a crochet book on Amigurumi out and an intense desire to FINALLY make something with my beloved silks. I will not have time for even a small portion of this.

Ella & I found a cute little fish tank at the thrift store. Although Ivy was happy with her sea monkeys she is exponentially more thrilled with little fishes. Six hours in and they're all still alive. Ivy's longed for a pet for years and her crusty parents won't do it. She noted that of all the pets in the world she wouldn't pick FISH, but if it was that or nothing she'd be very delighted to have them. Good answer.

I recently read the series of The Books of Ember. Book 1 - City of Ember, grabbed me, 2 got a bit more dense but I stuck with it. I doubt that I'll ever go back to book 3, but 4 was back to the style of the first. Still with me?

I think I sustained a whiplash injury at my last hockey practise. When I fell over.

4 comments:

Domestic Bloggess said...

Lucky! I'm officially jealous that you're taking a pottery class. I really must sign myself up for something different than the same old stamp class. You have inspired me, we'll see if it takes :)

Mmm, Mennonite feasts. We went to my mom's for faspa/vesper the other day and it brought back so many memories of my childhood. Good times and great link.

Your girls are too funny. Their personalities are coming forth in new (and exciting?) ways all the time :)

Oooh, books. I'm off to the library for sure to check and see if they have The Books of Ember - despite a lull in 2 and 3.

Anonymous said...

one of the links you posted about the mennonite food haad a comment about gf varenekji. I'll have to follow up on that one. how are the sea monkeys doing, and your fish? mom

Chris said...

The great thing about baking is you can only get better and even the mistakes are edible. Usually. Or employable as doorstops.

First time I ever made bread my kids proudly reported to Caitlin "Dad made Hagrid's rock cakes!"

If ever there was a back handed compliment...

(and fougasse is da bomb)

Tannis said...

Nicole, I'm loving the pottery class - go do it if you have a chance.

Mom, the sea monkeys are thriving. They've gotten bigger than I expected and appear to have reproduced b/c there are little ones again. Two out of three fish are doing well. Ella's lasted less than a week. We tried not to make a big deal of it but I'm pretty sure Ivy's bullied it so it didn't get to eat much.

Chris, Ivy's going to howl at the reference to the rock cakes - we've been luckier than that so far!