11.28.2005

sunshine and belly dancing


This is kind of turning into a basic journal type theme but it feels better than waiting for that "perfect" topic to write about. Who is it I imagine is policing my blog to see if it is sticking to the stated topic? Too many years of school in me...

Woo hoo, sunshine! It was sunny most of the day on Sunday and it was heavenly - so good for the spirit. After lounging around and soaking in the rays through the windows we toured out to a new coffee shop in Penticton and checked out the Cannery building. I don't even know how to describe the place. It's an old warehouse that was being used as a low budget mall of sorts with a discount bakery (yikes), small engine repair shop and a locksmith all anchored by a local brewery - appropriately named Cannery Brewing. Someone had the vision to put a small theatre in the other end and now there are more artsy things going in like a traditional dance studio, bellydance/yoga studio, pottery shop, karate and gymnastics. Jeremy took some bizarre pictures and has posted them here.

The strangest part of this all was that a bellydance dvd was being shot in the building as we were there. Imagine walking down a deserted and kind of ugly hall lined with vintage videogames and suddenly you see several belly dancers in full costume casually strolling out of their studio and into the theatre, then you hear live middle eastern music start up. Very surreal. The costumes are amazing with their colours and jingles. It made me really, really want to continue learning belly dancing. I took a super basic community centre type course two years ago and loved it but didn't pursue it further at the time.

I could be a belly dancing hockey player. That would be quite something.

8 comments:

Ang said...

Yeah! Do it! And then tell me if I should do it. They actually offer evening lessons in Em's school gym.
I wonder if one needs thick, long, dark hair to justify that gypsy get-up.

Heather said...

I totally want to take up belly-dancing. If only it didn't require a drive to Wpg. to do it. *sigh* I definately won't make any fuss about your blog turning into a daily journal. I had somehow envisioned that "Action Packed" would have purpose - but it has just evolved into a journal too. It totally beats wracking my brain for an inspired idea.

Tannis said...

Yes, Ang you should do it. I briefly lamented my almost complete lack of hair when I saw those exotic women walking by - then my loving husband spoke some magical words in my ear and I didn't think they were so hot with their boring long tresses anymore. I don't know who's paying him to say the right things at the right time but it works for me.

Heather, we were watching a bellydance exercise/learning dvd being shot and it's supposed to be available by Christmas if all goes well. Should I send one your way when they come out? You do have the perfect look going on for it by the way.

Tannis said...

Ang, just noticed the women second from the left in the picture has short hair and I hadn't even noticed so it can't look too odd!

Chris said...

Let the blog be what it will be. One of the things about sustainable anything is that it is in line with the natural flow of things. That goes for blogs too.

And if you were a belly dancing hockey player, you wouldn't be the first. Alex Mogilny used to do things with his midsection that were astonishing. It can only help you sneak outside a pinching defender!

Tannis said...

Chris that's a very rich image you painted with Mogilny. I can just see him skating with a coin belt knotted over his jersey doing a little shimmy past the defence.

I appreciate the way you encourage me to see things in a flowing and connected way, rather than catergorizing them in random boxes that seem unrelated or even contradictory.

Unknown said...

The belly dancing DVD release party just happenned on Sunday, February 12. I'm sure there's plenty of copies down at the studio. My wife dances there and handle the beer and wine concession for the festivities.
Belly dancing gear, incidentally, is a hot commodity on EBay.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was there! I didn't get around to blogging about it - not that I've been blogging at all now that I think about it. I have my dvd and am having a lot of fun with it. I'm hoping to start showing up for classes after hockey ends in April. I have certainly been sucked into the ebay belly dance vortex...it's endless!