10.10.2004

odds & ends

Feels like I haven't posted in ages so I thought I'd throw in a few things. First of all, we're in Winnipeg hanging out with family and doing the Thanksgiving thing. It's become my favorite holiday because of it's focus on being thankful for what we have and not the purchase and distribution of superfluous stuff - although there is always waaay too much food. The weather has been fabulous (the first nice weather they've had all year) and we spent a glorious day in the lake region of the province yesterday. In one afternoon I managed to dabble in throwing around the football, canoeing, rock wall climbing and yes, mountain biking. Throw in some socializing with some wonderful people we don't see often enough and gazing at the fall colours and you have the makings of a pretty good family reunion. Must admit that certain upper body muscle groups are tight today though.


I had a short chat with my parents about the "dissonance" entry and Ivy following directions. My dad said essentially not to worry about her taking orders, we all rebel soon enough anyway. My response was "yeah, but I rebelled against the wrong things", and he replied "we all do"...so much calm wisdom to glean from my parents.


Ivy attended her first "Kids Church" today, as we went along with the folks. After recounting all the bible stories she had heard, she excitedly piped up "The teacher told us how to get to heaven! You just raise your hand and open the door!". She was quiet for a moment and then said, "but she didn't tell us how to get back". Another minute later, "Maybe you don't come back". It is interesting how often she asks about heaven and prayers, considering we don't attend church or even talk about it very often. It's poignant to see how pure and up front kids are about things like that and makes me wonder why I don't pay more attention. I suppose I added a lot more filters and defenses as I aged (sounds like I'm about to turn 80, not 30) and now feel compelled to justify everything with logic or science when clearly that doesn't apply to a spiritual experience, almost by definition.

No comments: