10.17.2004

hockey

I've decided to take up a new sport. Everyone needs a challenge, right? I know I need to stay reasonably fit to enjoy my winter more and I was thinking about getting a gym pass but it kind of depressed me. The gym here isn't that great and I feel like I've been there and done that. I've always fantasized about playing hockey "for real" after playing pond hockey a bit as a kid and loving my floor hockey experiences.

I spent a disturbing hour shopping for used gear a few days ago. So many choices and smells, but it cost less than I feared although it seems like a LOT of gear for a non-hitting team (and where will I store that smelly pile?). Tonite was the big night, practice #1. The outing involved a lot of awkward spills, stretches and pulls along with the glory of scoring while sliding on my stomach during the scrimmage. I can hardly walk the stairs this evening and it may be a rare multi-ibuprofin kind of day tomorrow.

Gotta love it.

3 comments:

Tannis said...

Hey Ruby mama,
I think it's going to be sustainable but only time will tell. Not feeling all that fit today as the body is kind of stiff.

It's my better half that may have parenting challenges while I'm out playing on the ice!

Jeremy said...

Challenges? An hour and a half a week is a joke.

We're already masters of the hand-off manouvre, trading kids for personal leisure time daily.

Daddio

Tannis said...

Now that I think about it, it's the post ice-time recovery that is the biggest challenge with kids...maybe that's what Pearlie meant in the first place.

Where would we be without the handoff?!