9.27.2004

Bike Philosophy

I think I've surpassed a personal best - 4 bike rides in 5 days! Loving it. I have had some odd experiences riding in areas that are new to me. All too often what looked like a solid trail simply...trails off into nowhere. Generally one of two things happens next. Either I forge ahead where it seems like the trail should be and it reappears two feet wide a few metres away or after I stop and turn around to have a look there is an obvious branch that I just missed. Worst case scenario is it's an absolute dead end and I go back the way I came.

Is this begging to be made into a flowery metaphor for life? Trails appearing and reappearing, taking risks and hoping to find new paths, slowing down to look at options you'd missed before. I'm probably taking this much too seriously, the endorphins are going to my head and I'm starting to sound a lot like my bike-loving significant other...

On a different note, the highlight of my ride yesterday was actually catching sight of a coyote that I startled from the trail. Too bad I scared it but it took my breath away to see it bounding off right in front of me. We don't see a lot of wildlife in the settled valley bottoms around here so I felt privileged.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

I'm going to take your two-wheeled, metaphoric, philosophizing reference to me as a compliment.

And then this week we finally got to ride together and we spotted a couple of deer on the way back. It is lucky and good for the soul.

Tannis said...

Of course that's a compliment!

Yeah, good for the soul. And lungs.