8.31.2004

The Dream Home

I feel like this is a dirty confession - I have started fantasizing about building my own "eco" house from the ground up on an acreage probably with straw bales and preferably bordering on a river. Essentially drop out of city living. Cleaner air, grow my own food and get over my unreasonable fear of most wildlife. Further from the grind of advertising and invented needs. Easy access to recreation.

I always go in circles and have to check that against my social work learning. Only the middle to upper class can afford to have an escape like that - could I focus my energy on making changes that benefit people who are stuck in cities for example? How do I reconcile my wealth with those who don't have it?

Taking it to the next level, this means I am infected with the standard attitude of looking for the next big thing - moving on or up. I am happy with where I live and the lifestyle I have - I know that the next "thing" isn't likely to actually make life better so why do I think about it as much as I do?

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Greg and Sophie's friends are apparently building a straw-bale house on their acreage between Penticton and Osoyoos -- we'll have to find out the details and go check it out.