2.25.2008

"free" time

What have I been up to? I have this baby who will be 7 months old next week. He's pretty good natured but needs all kinds of food, diaper changes, loving and endless entertaining. Then there are two more kids, food to make & clean up, laundry...blah blah. Before the sun came out a week or two ago I was contemplating the phrase "stuck at home mom". I don't really mean it. I get more breaks than the average caregiver and I'd be a bitter woman if for some reason I didn't have the opportunity to be at home.

I end up with a "free" hour every evening that isn't spoken for and into that I fit any and all fun pursuits that I happen to dream up:

- learning Chinese or Japanese brush painting/calligraphy
- reading! I finally got started on Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle". It's a must-read in terms of setting the stage for eating local. It's got me going on my garden planning and looking at seed catalogues.
- personal grooming (does this qualify as fun?)
- talking. with an adult that I love, about cool and interesting things. Or maybe about eczema and sleep deprivation.
- tonite's choice was blogging and that's all I can fit in because my hour is up and I have to sleep.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I saw some of your calligraphy on Jeremy's blog. Good work. You have a whole family of talent.
I am also glad you got a bit of time for yourself. I know from experience how precious that is.

Kaili said...

Hey if we could ever help out and watch the kids for a bit so you or you AND Jeremy could go out let us know. Even if it's for a lunch date and a walk or something. I could snuggle a baby, a real cute one at that. And the girls and Jaia can play, or if Ivy is in school than just J and Ella. That would be fun. Let us know for sure! Don't feel shy about asking. We know how getting out and getting out together can really refresh ones feelings of parenting and your love for one another.

tfoxfan said...

Tan, I love the way you put free in quotes. Since being at home with Finch I find labeling time a sort of conundrum. I don't know if I'm always on free time or if time away from her is free or time with Angelo is free or what. Strange.

And yes, personal grooming certainoly qualifies as free time. I find a bath and a hair-washing gives me an entirely fresh perspective on life.

Yes, talking about cool things or how Finch sleeps and doesn't or how she engages people socially or doesn't totally takes up our 'adult' discussions. One bad, sleep-deprived day, we obsessed about her sleep and then by 4 pm declared a moratorium on the subject (which didn't keep) we were so sick of it.

Tannis said...

Kaili, that is so over the top generous. I'm hardly willing to drop off all three at the grandparents house yet though. We do get dates once in a while, thanks to them!

Ah tfox, you understand my life stage so completely. It's good for the soul (not the stage itself, the understanding part). The obsessing gets worse the less sleep you have in my experience. Perspective blurs. I spent a precious half hour wandering around a drug store looking for a miracle cure for Ez. Not likely.